Welcome to rebeccalife.com! Navigating rebeccalife.com is easy and you can still find all the posts and category's you loved from EasyDress and EasyBite in the drop down menus. Click Here if you need help navigating. Happy Browsing!

Monday, November 10, 2014

Goodness Me Box Introduction and November Box Review


We've all heard of monthly subscription boxes, I've been subscribed to many of them over the past few years but Goodness Me Box is a little different. Instead of beauty products Goodness Me sends you a lovely little box each month filled with healthful food. I gave it a go this month to see what it was all about. 

The sign up process was easy, I set up a month-by-month automatic payment through PayPal. After signing up I was prompted to take a short survey to disclose my eating preferences and any restrictions I have in place (gluten-free, vegan, etc).

I've been keeping an eye on what other people have received in the boxes on social media and there have been a couple of different ones that were sent out this month. Everything I received in my box was vegan and I am presuming it was done on purpose because I said that I only ate vegan food in my sign up survey. Goodness Me box does say that they will try to be accommodating to all food preferences but there may be months that you receive something you're uninterested in trying and I'm okay with that. 

I have to say that I am really impressed with the selection in the November box. The $25 price tag was a little steep for just a 'sample' box but I'm really happy with the value I received.

November Box

The first thing I saw when I opened the box was the Sam Mills Gluten Free Fettuccine. I love Sam Mills pasta and eat it several times a week but I've never seen it in any 'spaghetti' form before, only in penne and spirals. It's made of 100% corn meal and it tastes incredible. I haven't gone back to eating regular pasta since I found it. I'm not a gluten free eater but Sam Mills pasta is just that good. This product is 500g (full size) and retails for about $2.99.

To compliment the pasta I also received a box of Ceres Organics Chopped Tomatoes in Tomato Juice.  The brand says that their unique 'box' style packaging keeps the product fresh without additives so you get an authentic taste upon opening. I've never seen this brand before but I use tinned tomatoes all the time so I'll definitely get use out of this. The product is 390g (full size) and retails for $3.15.

Moving onto some delicious snacks you'll also find a Luv Sum Chocolate Chia and Nut Energy Ball hiding away in the box. I've seen these posted so many times on Instagram but never actually seen them in a store myself so I'm glad I get a chance to try it for myself. They're packed with antioxidants, omega-3 and protein so they're great for a quick hunger busting snack. The product is 43g (full size) and retails for $3.50.

Next you'll find little snack sized pouch of Bite Smart Paprika Dusted Cashews, Pepitas and Chick Peas. They're a great fibre hit during the day and are convenient to keep in your car or handbag for a quick snack. I'm eating them as I type this in fact. The snack pouch is 35g (full size) and retails for $3.50.

I always make my own granola because finding a vegan one is difficult but I'm excited to try the Mama Bickie's Grain-O-La that came inside the box. It's made from oats, nuts, maple syrup and coconut and is made in a completely gluten free environment so it's wonderful for those with sensitivities. The granola is a snack sized sample, the full sized 420g box retails for $15.20 so I estimate this 75g sample to be about $2.70 in value. 

Next I received an old favourite, Camu Powder from Bioglan. I've used Camu powder before but the price tag puts me off of repurchasing it as often as I'd like too. Camu is a 'superfood' that boasts about it's ridiculously high level of vitamin C. It's a fantastic immunity boosting supplement, it's filled with antioxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties. It's often referred to as a 'beauty supplement' because it has wonderful effect on the skin. I'm glad I received it, I love using Camu powder in my smoothies. The product is 100g (full size) and retails for $26.99.

I think I'm the only person in the world who doesn't like coconut water. Is that weird? Either way I received a can of Nakula Organic Coconut Water inside my Goodness Me box. Coconut Water is absolutely wonderful for you but I personally can't drink it straight up. I'll use this in smoothies though, I'm thinking some kind of coconut water and pineapple pina-colada breakfast. This product is 330ml (full size) and retails for $3.95.

Then we're left with a few samples. Higher Living put 6 organic tea bags in the box, I've never heard of the brand before but I drink tea a few times a week so I'll give it a go. I'm especially interested in the Cacao and Chili tea! A box of 15 tea bags retails for $3.96 so with 6 bags this adds about $1.60 in value to the box. 

And last of all, a cute little sample of Norbu Natural Sweetener. This sweetener is made from Monk fruit and has 96% less calories than sugar. It's promoted as being fructose free and non-GMO. It's great if you follow one of those 'sugar free' diets but that's not for me. I'll try it and see if it adds an interesting flavour to my food. A box of 40 sachets retails at $4.99 which means this sample adds $0.12c to the box. 


I'm actually thrilled with Goodness Me box, I'll use all of these products, almost everything was full size and I received a great combination of foods. $25 may be higher than most monthly subscription boxes but when it contains almost $50 worth of products that I will actually use I'm more than happy to keep my subscription going. 

I'll review the box again next month and see if Goodness Me keeps up their awesome value!



Animal disclaimer:
All of the products mentioned are vegan friendly. 

No comments: