Welcome to rebeccalife.com! Navigating rebeccalife.com is easy and you can still find all the posts and category's you loved from EasyDress and EasyBite in the drop down menus. Click Here if you need help navigating. Happy Browsing!

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Hummus! (Don't knock it 'till you try it)


I used to think there was nothing worse than a mouthful of Hummus, that was until I tried a home made Hummus that changed my life (I'm very dramatic when it comes to food). Real Hummus is nothing like the aerated, dairy based froth you buy from the supermarket. It's thick, creamy, delicious and you owe it to your taste buds to give it another try.

Not only is it tasty but it's incredibly easy to make, you just need these ingredients and a food processor.


1 tin/jar of canned chickpeas, drained, rinsed
2 garlic cloves, crushed (use less if you don't like a strong garlic flavour)
2 tablespoons of Tahini paste (found in the health food section of most supermarkets)
Tahini can separate and become thick at the bottom of the gar and thin on top, just give it a stir and you'll restore the creamy consistency.
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice
A pinch of salt
50-100ml of Water

Throw everything except the water into a food processor and blend until smooth.
Add the water little by little until you reach your desired consistency, I usually use about 75ml of water.



I'll put it in an air-tight container and it stores well in the refrigerator for about a week.


So, what can I do with my hummus?

Well, it's a brilliant vegetable dip (I personally like to eat it with carrot sticks), or try some light wafer crackers if you really want the full hummus experience, I pack it into small containers and take it to work with me for lunch. The protein and full flavour is a great midday pick-me-up.

It's also good as a sandwich spread instead of using butter or mayonnaise.

You can warm it and use it as a 'gravy' over meat or other proteins.

Stir it through salads instead of using oily dressings.



Why is it good for me?

Chickpeas are packed with protein, which has the obvious nutritional benefits but it also means that you're going to feel full for longer. This makes it the perfect afternoon snack to hold you together until dinner.

The lemon juice helps keep your metabolism active and working well throughout the day, resulting in higher levels of fat burning and a generally active body.

Tahini contains healthy, good fatty acids and very little saturated fat. It contains phosphorus, an essential mineral for strong bones and healthy teeth and also helps stabilise your kidney function.


Try it out, let me know what you think and tell me your favourite way to eat it.

1 comment:

myfoxycorner said...

I made my own hummus and was so happy with the outcome! Why buy the supermarket stuff when you can make it yourself and know every ingredient you use!