Welcome to rebeccalife.com! Navigating rebeccalife.com is easy and you can still find all the posts and category's you loved from EasyDress and EasyBite in the drop down menus. Click Here if you need help navigating. Happy Browsing!

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Gel - Review



I don't have excessively dry skin or excessively oily skin. My skin sits somewhere on the oily side of normal so moisturiser has never been something that I have really experimented with.

Don't get me wrong, moisturiser has always been an important part of my skincare routine, it just hasn't been at the top of my priority list for 'finding the best one' like other products are. If it works, it works.

I have been using the Biore Oil Free Moisturiser with SPF 15 for about three years now but I decided that I couldn't call myself a beauty know-it-all without at least testing out a few others.

The first on my list to try was the Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturising Gel. This is the third step in the Clinique 3-Step skin care routine for oily skin. If you have normal/dry skin then they have a lotion version just for you.

Since discovering that my skin is actually quite sensitive (you can read more about that revelation HERE) I chose to dive into something that is hypoallergenic and fragrance free. Dramatically Different Gel ticks both of those boxes.

But what really drew me to this product was it's claim to double as both a day and a night cream. You may remember that I have written about why you need a separate day and night cream before (you can read that post HERE) but I thought 'Hey, happy to admit I was wrong' if a product can prove just that.


As a product reviewer it's difficult to say that something is just 'okay'. I don't like writing a review without being able to point out the exact reasons why you should or shouldn't buy the item I'm talking about but this product is just that, it's okay.

It moisturises well and keeps skin hydrated throughout the day, it soaks into skin quickly which some people like but I personally prefer the moisturiser to stay wet for a little longer to help blend in my foundation.

The gel turns into an almost water-like consistency when applied to the skin which makes it easy blend without pulling at your face. It's 100% oil and fragrance free.

I didn't experience any irritation or break outs from the moisturiser.

The problem I have though is that this 125ml bottle costs $75. And for what? A basic run of the mill moisturiser? Yes, it is a good product, yes it does live up to it's hypoallergenic claims and yes, it's a decent product but for $75 it's just not worth it.

Some could argue that the bottle is bigger than a standard moisturiser, which is true, but I also found that I had to use almost double the amount of product to get a decent result. It soaked into skin far too quickly and if I only used one pump my skin would feel tight again within minutes.

This is the amount that one pump gives:


I use 3-4 pumps each morning.

So this is a tricky one. I do like the product, it works quite well but I wouldn't recommend or repurchase it.

Oh and as for it doubling as a night cream.. definitely not!
It's light weight for day time use but is definitely not a night cream to rely on unless you're using a really great serum and eye cream as well.

Animal Testing: Clinique does not test on animals.

1 comment:

Ty said...

Thanks for the review! Very useful. :)