Welcome to rebeccalife.com! Navigating rebeccalife.com is easy and you can still find all the posts and category's you loved from EasyDress and EasyBite in the drop down menus. Click Here if you need help navigating. Happy Browsing!

Saturday, March 17, 2012

The Very Best of MAC

About two years ago, I went into a full-blown MAC Attack. I purchased item after item, just wanting to explore the brand and see what their products can do. Now, I'm not saying that this is a bad thing really. While I may have spent a lot of money attempting to try out all their products, it has given me a huge knowledge of the brand and is why I can give you this post.

As a whole, MAC is a fantastic, innovative and quality brand. While it may be classed as a 'high end' brand, which is it, the prices are significantly less than other brands in the same league. It's a great brand for Make Up Artists because of the incredible selection of products, I'm talking thousands here.

If you have ever been to a MAC counter, no doubt you have walked away flustered and overwhelmed. When 300 eyeshadows and 200 lipsticks are staring in your face I can understand why.

I wanted to create this post for those who are either new to the brand, for those who like to keep a small but quality collection or for those who just like to try new products.

There are many products that I love from MAC and use on a regular basis but these are the products that I personally believe are hands-down 100% worth the money. Products that perform exactly as they should and that deserve attention and praise.


Hopefully this post will help to take some of the confusion out of MAC products.


Paintpots
When I think of my holy-grail, never-fail make up items, MAC Paintpots are always among the top products. They're the perfect eyeshadow base, they don't crease and will last all day. The shades in the permanent range are classic Ivory's and browns but MAC are constantly releasing new limited edition shades.

With an honorable mention going to Bare Study and Rubenesque, all the paintpots I have ever tried have given a perfect result and I have always been impressed. They're cream eyeshadows so they can be worn on their own or as an eyeshadow base/primer.

Mineralise Skin Finish Natural
The Skin Finish Natural is a very finely milled baked powder. It can be used in the same way that any pressed powder would. It gives a light coverage and helps to even out skin tone and it is particularly good at neutralising red tones.

The reason I love this powder is because it is so finely milled that you can't tell you're even wearing powder. I use it to set foundation and it doesn't matter how much I pack on it still looks like skin, not powder. You can reapply throughout the day rather than using blotting papers/powder and you will still have that perfect finish. Nothing cakey or heavy. The result is something unique, a satin soft powder that doesn't settle into pores or fine lines.

Studio Tech Cream Foundation
Now THIS is a great foundation! Not many foundations can say that they will cater to all skin types, but Studio Tech will. It's a blend of water, powder and emollients (moisturisers) and feels so light and hydrating on the face.

I had this foundation sitting in my drawer for about three months before I actually used it, I kept swatching it and thinking that it would be too heavy or too much of a cream for me to wear during the day, especially during the summer. But, on one fateful day, I was putting on foundation just to run out and do grocery shopping and decided to just give it a try.

Your skin feels cool, refreshed and hydrated upon application of this product and the length of wear is really good. One layer of the foundation gives a medium-full coverage and during cool days there is no need to set it with a powder (I'd set the foundation in summer though). It's a matte finish, incredibly easy to blend and gives your skin an incredible luminosity. I apply it with a sponge and then buff it into my skin with a duo fibre brush.


MAC Opulash Mascara
Mascaras are hard to review because it really depends on your own preference and your own lashes. I am the first one to say that you definitely don't need to turn to a high end brand to find a good mascara. There are plenty of amazing low cost mascaras out there. MAC Opulash is a little bit different. It offers dramatic volume and length without overdoing it. I find it impossible to clump, it just works every time. It glides onto each lash and coats it evenly. It's incredibly black, doesn't flake and lasts all day. I am in love with this mascara, I've gone through many tubes of it.


MAC Well Dressed Blush
This is a controversial blush colour, some people love it, some people hate it. Here's why:
It is a very pale pink, it doesn't have a huge amount of colour pay off and it can look fairly non-existent on darker skin tones.
For me, and for every person I've applied this blush too, it is the perfect wash of dainty pink with a soft, feminine flush. It is a very gently colour but it is absolutely amazing.

MAC Lustre Lipsticks
Out of all the lipstick finishes, Lustre's are my absolute favourite. They are incredibly soft on the lips and have a perfect shine. They don't have a shimmer, they're just a cream. They're smooth and hydrating with great pigmentation. If your lips are dry or chapped, these lipsticks will help hide any imperfections while providing great moisture. They're flawless and a fantastic product. My favourite shades are Lovelorn and Syrup.


MAC Veluxe Pearl Eyeshadows
These are by far, without a doubt, my very favourite eyeshadowsVeluxe Pearl that I didn't love, my favourite shades are Sumptuous Olive, All That Glitters, Woodwinked and Twinks.


239 Brush
There is no shader brush like the 239, and I know many make up artists would agree. It picks up colour and deposits it evenly. It helps to minimise fall out and mine have maintained their shape through years of use. I highly recommend this brush in any collection, personal or professional.



217 Brush
For me, this is the holy-grail of blending brushes. I use it to apply colour into my crease and blend it out at the same time. It's the perfect density, perfect length and perfectly shaped to give you the best application. I have been searching for something comparable but can't seem to find anything that can stand up to the 217. If you are only going to buy one brush from MAC, make it this one.


Like I mentioned earlier, I have a long list of loved MAC products, these are the products that I think are completely unique to MAC and are must haves.

I will be writing a MAC Starter Kit post this week, stay tuned!

Disclaimer: I have worked with MAC on a professional level for many years and received a lot of my professional training from MAC. However I have never been employed by MAC and this product was paid for with my own money. I am not being paid for this review, all opinions are my own. 

1 comment:

Chelsea said...

Ah... thankyou!!!! x